Alienation Digital - a carbon neutral business.
Alienation is committed to reducing our impact on the environment; therefore we have taken the step of offsetting our total carbon emissions for the business since 2009. For 2012/13 we have offset 40 tonnes – covering all our office, travel, commuting & hosting emissions.
Our offsetting has been carried out by a scheme approved under the government's Quality Assurance Scheme for Carbon Offsetting (QAS) using only UN approved Certified Emission Reductions (CERs) high quality offsets. Real offsets, real reductions from projects that would not have gone ahead without income from the sale of carbon offsets and resulting in a permanent CO2 emissions reduction. For 2012/13 we have offset using two different schemes - a reforestation project in the Great Rift Valley, Kenya and a tree planting scheme in Scotland, UK.
You might be surprised to know that just running our web servers 24/7 results in over 15 tonnes of CO2 being released into the atmosphere – over a third of our overall emissions. Collectively we travel nearly 50,000 miles a year commuting and travelling. Around 60% of that is using public transport with a further 10% taken up with walking and cycling.
With the successes of the past few years, our aim is to further grow our business whilst stabilising or reducing the emissions produced as a result of our travel. For that reason we have revised our Environmental Policy and implemented year on year targets to make real reductions on our environmental impact with the aim of working towards BS8555.
We strive to:
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible,
- Actively promote recycling both internally and amongst our customers and suppliers,
- Source and promote a product range to minimise the environmental impact of both production and distribution,
- Meet or exceed all the environmental legislation that relates to the Company.
- Integrate the consideration of environmental concerns and impacts into all of our decision making and activities,
- Promote environmental awareness among our employees and encourage them to work in an environmentally responsible manner,
- Train, educate and inform our employees about environmental issues that may affect their work,
- Avoid unnecessary use of hazardous materials and products, seek substitutions when feasible, and take all reasonable steps to protect human health and the environment when such materials must be used, stored and disposed of,
- Operate and maintain company vehicles with due regard to environmental issues as far as reasonably practical and encourage the use of alternative means of transport and car sharing as appropriate.
We hope that you too will join us in evaluating and reducing your environmental impact. It is just one small step in the right direction and something that no business can ignore.